My life in Ipswich - incorporating One Step at a Time, my account of how I am slowly changing my life

Saturday 29 October 2011

Oysterband - a disappointment


Just back from Bury St Edmunds and for the first time ever I wish we'd saved our money and stayed at home. It was billed as Oysterband with June Tabor but feel it should have been the other way round. June dominated the majority of the set and at times even John's mike was muted so that he could hardly be heard. There were only 4 'Oysterband' tracks if you include 'Turn out the lights' that June also sang on. I'm afraid I am never going to particularly like June Tabor - I can't even hear all the words she sings so when she talks about the importance of words in songs , it all rather misses the point!

I would really love to go to a 'real' Oysterband gig at this venue though. The acoustics in the apex really suited John's voice and the sound the band make.

So what set are they going to do at the Big Session? - if its this one I believe there will be a lot of very disappointed people.

On the bright side I'm looking forward to Oxjam tomorrow with the Bounty Hounds and Hedgepig

No comments:

Post a Comment